Thursday, January 27, 2011

Learning About Subversion

I have never used subversion before. Well, while working at Hawkes Learning Systems I have had some experience using a version control system. Currently Jordan, Neil, and I are working on a new website for HLS and we have a shared environment. We would need to right click on the file and choose "Check out for editing" and then when we were done making changes, we would click "Check in".

However, I still felt like this was all new to me. After installing Subversion, I realized I needed a client to actually do anything. I googled "subversion client on windows" and saw some similar names that I had seen in my classmates' blogs. I chose TortoiseSVN. Wasn't sure what to expect to see after installing it or where to start. I saw the icon for the program in my Windows Start Menu so I just clicked on it to open it. Obviously that wasn't the right thing to do because a window came up explaining to me that TortoiseSVN is a shell extension and that it is integrated into the Windows explorer. Then it proceeded to tell me to "read the manual!"; it was in fact underlined. So, now I knew to go to a folder in Windows explorer and right-click in order to see TortoiseSVN commands.

I felt extremely accomplished when I was able to add a new folder and file to the 462playground because I thought I was going to have to go to class without an experience to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment