Sunday, January 30, 2011

Download/Build/Install Code

This part of the project has been one emotional rollercoaster. Last year, in CSCI 362, I installed Ubuntu using VirtualBox. This semester I figured I would want to install it using Wubi so that I could boot into Ubuntu and be able to see everything in a full screen view instead of the small window that VirtualBox provided.

Everything appeared to be fine, Ubuntu was installed and I could choose to boot into Windows 7 or Ubuntu. However, going through the updates for Ubuntu, there was one for grub -- Ubuntu's boot manager. I wasn't sure what I was doing or what I was updating so I just continued and allowed the update. WELL, grub seemed to have overwritten Window's boot manager. When I restarted my computer after the updates, all I saw was "error: no such device <letters/numbers> grub rescue". I couldn't get into Windows or Ubuntu anymore. I couldn't do ANYTHING on my computer. I was really afraid that I had lost everything.

I was trying to research on forums on how to fix it and the solutions I saw were to boot from a Windows CD. Thankfully, Brandon and Jordan helped me fix this error. We booted from a Windows Recovery CD and fixed Window's boot manager so that I could see both OS again. Phew.

Next I needed to download the source code for the project we will be working on, Fortune Hunter. Jaime has already gone through this process and posted some steps for everyone else in the group on our group wiki. I was able to go through the first two commands but I'm having some trouble with the last one. Right now i'm getting an error:

Initialized empty Git repository in /home/staci/CSCI462/fortunehunter/.git/
ssh: Could not resolve hostname git: Name or service not known
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

So I'm going to try to research some to see if I can figure it out and if not, I'm going to talk with my group tomorrow to see if anyone else experienced this or know how to move forward. I will update on my progress soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment